Thursday, December 2, 2010
I just came from my night shift and found AVG was updated and needed for a computer reboot. To my amaze, the New AVG Internet Security 2011 update causes Windows 7 to crash. Even in Safe Mode, it wont boot at all. As of now, AVG haven't release a quick fix yet. Or in worst case scenario, reinstall Windows.
How to fix your computer after AVG Internet Security 2011 update windows crash
1. download and burn AVG Rescue CD http://www.avg.com/ww-en/download-file-cd-arl-iso
2. Boot thru AVG rescue CD. Go to Utilities > File Manager then navigate to /mnt/sda(x) where x depends on the partition of your computer.
3. Rename the following files
\Program Files(x86)\AVG\AVG10\avgrs*.exe >> avgrs*.exe.bak
\Program Files(x86)\AVG\AVG10\avgchsv*.exe >> avgchsv*.exe.bak
4. Press ctrl+alt+del to reboot your computer. Make sure that you remove your AVG Rescue CD.
5. Once your computer successfully booted. Download the latest AVG Internet Security 2011 Installer http://www.avg.com/ww-en/download-trial
6. Run the installer and click Repair. After the repair, reboot your computer
(or you skip step 5 and 6. Uninstall AVG and install other free Antivirus software)
You can also use Linux-based live CDs as an alternative to AVG Rescue CD
As of now, the issue is being tracked on the following sites:
AVG Official Fix: AVG FIX FOR WIN 7 64 BIT CUSTOMERS NOW RELEASED
AVG Forum : Some Windows 7 operating systems cannot be started after latest update
AVG Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/avgfree
#AVG Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/search?q=%23AVG