Configuring ssh and rsync in DLINK DNS-323

1. Download and untar funplug(i have problems with 0.4 version cause there's no dropbear.sh in the package file)

http://www.inreto.de/dns323/fun-plug/0.3/funplug-0.3.tar.gz

2. Copy fun_plug and fun_plug.tar into Volume_1 of Dlink DNS-323

3. Restart Dlink DNS-323

4. Telnet to your DNS 323

#cd /mnt/HD_a2/fun_plug.d/start


#sh dropbear.sh start

5. Set your root account

#echo "root::0:0:99999:7:::" >>/etc/shadow
#passwd root


6. Test first your ssh access with the new password

7. Store your root password

#/mnt/HD_a2/fun_plug.d/bin/store-passwd.sh

8. Configure your dropbear.sh and rsyncd.sh to start at bootup

#chmod a+x dropbear.sh

#chmod a+x rsyncd.sh

9. Disable insecure telnet

#chmod a-x telnetd.sh

10. Restart your DNS-323

By penoi on Monday, March 31, 2008 | | 2 comments
2 responses to “Configuring ssh and rsync in DLINK DNS-323”
  1. Paul says:

    This does work fine with funplug 0.4, if you install the dropbear files which are available from:

    http://www.inreto.de/dns323/fun-plug/0.4/addons

    (just unzip and put the files into bin and start)

    I did this for dropbear, and assume it will also work for rsyncd, which i didn't try.

    One more thing. Instead of:

    #chmod a-x telnetd.sh

    try:

    #chmod a-x 00telnetd.sh

    in funplug 0.4

  2. Patrick Ryan says:

    I'm trying to get my ReadyNAS NV+ to back up to my DNS-323 over the internet, and kept getting oddball failures when I used ftp, so I thought I'd try rsync. I've installed fun_plug and enabled rsync, but I don't know where to go from here. Do I need to create a userID for the ReadyNAS? I assume using root is a bit of a security hole? As well, the ReadyNAS suggests that the path to the host be in the form "host::module/path" - what should I use as "module"?